FALMOUTH, MA (January 10, 2018)—Eight non-profit groups have been awarded a total of $83,350 in grants as part of the latest semi-annual series of donations by Falmouth Road Race, Inc., the organization announced last night.
Among the projects to be funded will be a solar street light, a First Responder training program, and a water refill station. Representatives from each of the organizations accepted their checks at a presentation ceremony last night at Museums on the Green.
The grant program was established as a way for Falmouth Road Race, Inc. to give back to the community for its help and support. Each year, Falmouth residents and organizations provide many hours of volunteering for the New Balance Falmouth Road Race, a world-class event for both elite and recreational runners, as well as for the Aetna Falmouth Elite Mile, the SBLI Family Fun Run, and the Health & Fitness Expo.
“Like you all, we’re a non-profit,” Geoff Nickerson, president of the board of directors, told the recipients. “We’re really lucky again this year to be able to make some significant contributions to the community. It’s something we’re really proud of. We’re very appreciative of the good work you do for the community, and we’re thrilled to be able to share the success we’ve had with you.”
Since fiscal year 2012-2013, Falmouth Road Race, Inc. has contributed more than $2.1 million to the health and wellness of Falmouth and the surrounding area through Community Giving and Grants.
Receiving grants in this semi-annual round were:
- A Baby Center (programming to encourage families with children 0-3 to make healthy choices)
- American Legion Post 188 Baseball Program (new uniforms, equipment upgrade, help fund two teams)
- Cape & Islands Emergency Medical Services System, Inc. (new training mannequins)
- Falmouth Dog Parks, Inc. (installation of second solar street light)
- Falmouth Harbor Sailing School (two Optimist sailboats for youth)
- Falmouth Water Stewards (two public water bottle refill stations)
- North Falmouth Elementary School PTO (resurface playground, add courts and hoops)
- Woods Hole Public Library (funding to hire children’s yoga instructor)
About Falmouth Road Race, Inc. The New Balance Falmouth Road Race was established in 1973 and has become one of the premier running events of the summer season. Each year the race draws an international field of Olympians, elite and recreational runners out to enjoy the iconic 7-mile seaside course. The non-profit Falmouth Road Race organization is committed to promoting health and fitness through community programs and philanthropic giving.