51st running of the ASICS Falmouth Road Race
August 20, 2023 | 9:00 AM
📣 GENERAL REGISTRATION APPLICATION IS CLOSED. ALL APPLICANTS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY EMAIL MAY 22ND. IF YOU WERE VERIFIED / SELECTED TO RUN, YOU WILL RECEIVE A LINK AND AN ACCESS CODE TO COMPLETE YOUR REGISTRATION.
GENERAL REGISTRATION APPLICATION:
- May 8th – May 17th
- This is a random selection process and there are limited spots available.
- You may create a team of up to 15 people for the purpose of registration only. This way, the team is selected, or not, as a whole. Please designate someone to go in first to register, name the team, and share the team name with your family and/or friends.
REGISTRATION FOR FALMOUTH RESIDENTS & TAXPAYERS IS CLOSED
- Falmouth Resident & Residential Taxpayer registration was from May 1st until May 7th at 11:59PM. Access codes will be sent in mid-May upon verification. Anyone who is not verified will be added to the general registration applicant pool and will be subject to the random selection process.
- To run with a charity team, please visit our Numbers for Nonprofits page, and contact the captain of the team of your choice for information on how to register and begin your fundraising efforts – you can still join a team and fundraise using your Falmouth resident bib!
- Want to sign up for the virtual At-Home Edition? You will receive a box with all the swag, delivered right to your house. Complete 7 miles your way, in your neighborhood. Walk or run, all at once, or a mile a day, for 7 days, it’s up to you! Registration for the At-Home Edition will open May 1st – and your pets will have the chance to participate too!
The 2023 ASICS Falmouth Road Race promises to be an exciting event celebrating 51 years of running the iconic course along the sea, giving back to the community and promoting running, health and fitness!
Stay tuned here and follow us on facebook for the latest updates!
2021 Registration Information
JUNE 10 UPDATE:
In-Person Registration is SOLD OUT!
We are excited to announce that general registration for our in-person race is FULL! If you didn’t get a chance to sign up, you can still run in person with one of our MA-based charity teams. Please contact the captain of your choice to get registered!
MAY 25 UPDATE:
The Falmouth Select Board Approved an In-Person Race!
At last night’s Select Board meeting, an in-person race with a reduced field size was approved. A formal announcement will be released later this morning.
All registrants will be receiving email communication with ‘next steps’ on Tuesday, May 25.
We are excited and grateful for the return of our race and look forward to seeing everyone in Falmouth on August 15th!
Volunteer registration will open soon!
MAY 10 UPDATE:
What the Latest Phase of the Massachusetts Reopening Plan Means for the 2021 ASICS Falmouth Road Race
Effective Monday, May 10th, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is allowing road races and other large, outdoor organized amateur or professional group athletic events to take place with staggered starts after submitting safety plans to a local board of health. Read the announcement on mass.gov.
We are pleased that the Commonwealth has given the green light for road races to take place this summer. It would be fantastic to see runners return to Falmouth for an in-person option. We will continue to work closely with the Town of Falmouth and our incredible partners to create a safe in-person 2021 ASICS Falmouth Road Race for all. Registration is currently open for our At-Home Edition and SBLI Kids At-Home Challenge. Official details surrounding an in-person run – tentatively slated for Sunday, August 15 – will be announced as soon as they are finalized.
Our process for selecting runners for an in-person event—should it be permitted—hasn’t changed. During registration for the At-Home Edition, runners are presented with an option to select ‘Yes, if given the chance, I would like to run the race in Falmouth.’ Those who select the option to run in person will be entered in a random selection process. Pending further guidance from the Town of Falmouth, runners will be randomly selected from this group to run on the official racecourse.
This is an encouraging stride forward and we’ll share more details as we have them.
General Registration for the 49th Running of the Falmouth Road Race is Open
- We invite you to register for the 2021 ASICS Falmouth Road Race At-Home Edition (virtual) event. Open to walkers and runners, you can complete your 7 miles all at once or between August 7th and August 14th.
- Want to run in person? During the registration process, there will be an option to select “Yes, if given the chance, I would like to run the race in Falmouth.” Those who select the option to run in person will be placed in a random selection drawing, pending town approval, and is dependent on the field size allowed. If selected, these runners will be able to race on the official FRR course on August 15, 2021.
- All in-person runners will be selected from the 2021 ASICS FRR At-Home Edition registration database. These runners must complete an in-person registration and pay an additional fee to participate. Details to follow.
- If you want to be considered to run in Falmouth, you must complete the initial registration for the At-Home Edition.
- Falmouth Residents & Residential Taxpayers: There will be a registration question asking if you are a Falmouth resident or residential taxpayer. In a typical year, all verified Falmouth residents and taxpayers, and their spouses and children between 10 and 23, are guaranteed entry. In 2021, depending on the field size allowed, we may or may not be able to guarantee entry for Falmouth residents/residential taxpayers.
Charity runner registration is closed!
- If you have not already, please consider running for one of our charity partners through our Numbers for Nonprofits Program.
- Participants who will run on behalf of one of our charity partners were given early access to register for the event, followed by information on how to set up your individual fundraising page to get started. We appreciate our charity runners – thank you!
What might the 2021 ASICS Falmouth Road Race look like this year?
As noted, we are working closely with the Town of Falmouth and our incredible partners to create a safe in-person 2021 ASICS Falmouth Road Race for all. This may mean we’ll need to produce a scaled-back event.
What might a “scaled-back event” look like?
- A reduced field size
- Mask-mandated zones and social distancing
- The Health & Fitness Expo may be closed to the public and with limited activities
- Bus loading by pace
- A staggered or “rolling” start to avoid mass gathering (i.e., you disembark the bus, walk to start line and begin your race)
- Spectators not allowed on ball field at the finish area
- No ball field festival at the finish; runners will receive a grab-and-go bag with finish refreshments
- Registration opens May 1
- In-person runners must be registered for the At-Home Edition to be considered for in-person race selection
- Announcement of in-person event and field size allowed
- In-person registration process will begin June 1
- Final mitigation strategies will be announced August 1
- At-Home Edition participants will complete their 7 miles between August 7 and August 14
- An in-person race will be held Sunday, August 15
Please note: COVID-mitigation strategies and timelines are subject to change. We will continue to update you as we receive information regarding this year’s event.
We thank you for your understanding and for your patience.
2020 was quite a year!
For nearly 50 years, Falmouth Road Race, Inc. has promoted health, wellness, and pride in the community. In these unprecedented times, the organization is striving to be consistent in its mission, continuing to provide its dedicated athletes, enthusiasts, and the community with an event to be proud of and one that supports people in need.
In 2020, cancelling just wasn’t an option for the Falmouth Road Race team.
“With safety always the top priority, we saw an ‘At-Home’ event as the ideal option for 2020,” said Scott Ghelfi, president of the Falmouth Road Race, Inc., board of directors. “…conducting an ‘At-Home’ event not only gave runners from everywhere the chance to experience the Falmouth spirit but also give Falmouth Road Race, Inc., a way to show its support for the town, our medical community, and our Numbers for Nonprofits charity team participants, who raise funds that are needed now more than ever.”
Among the ways in which the race showed its commitment to nonprofit partners and the community through the “At-Home Edition” in 2020:
- The organization purchased $35,000 worth of gift cards from businesses throughout Falmouth to randomly award to participants. The intention was to assist the community now and help bring visitors back to town when it is again safe to travel.
- A $5,000 donation was made to Cape Kid Meals, to ensure that families in need are able to feed their children on the weekends while school programs feed them during the weekdays.
- With the support of the Cochary Gross family, FRR, Inc. was able to award $70,000 in annual scholarships to 2020 high school seniors who are year-round Falmouth residents.
- Numbers for Nonprofits charity program partners received support to maximize their fundraising efforts, including free registration for those running for a charity who agreed to raise a required minimum dollar amount for that organization. Incentive prizes and experiences, including a swag package, a donation match, and two chances to win a free entry into the 2021 ASICS Falmouth Road Race, were awarded to select participants by the race.
“Running at home, together but apart in 2020, was the best way for all of us to show that we care about Falmouth – the town, its people, the race and its tradition,” said Ghelfi. “Tommy Leonard wouldn’t want it any other way.”
Did you receive a guaranteed entry in 2020?
If you received guaranteed entry for 2021 as one of the first registrants of the 2020 Falmouth Road Race At-Home Edition, we gave you the opportunity to defer that guarantee to 2022.
You should have received an email on March 5th with instructions on deferring that entry to next year. If you did not update your status by March 12th, your guaranteed entry was automatically deferred to 2022.
If your status was not updated by Friday, March 12th, you did not lose your guaranteed entry, it has simply been deferred to the 50th running of the race in 2022.
Of course, even if you save your guaranteed entry for the historic 50th running, you can still register for this year’s event. Charity teams need your support! All charity entries are guaranteed in-person participation. If you select “If given the chance, I would like to run in Falmouth,” you will run the race from Woods Hole to Falmouth Heights on Sunday, August 15. Contact a charity team captain directly to secure your spot!
We welcome our new title sponsor, ASICS
The race will have a different look this year as we start an exciting new chapter with global footwear leader, ASICS. Anima Sana In Corpore Sano, meaning “A Sound Mind in a Sound Body,” is an old Latin phrase from which ASICS is derived and the fundamental platform on which the brand still stands. The company was founded more than 70 years ago by Kihachiro Onitsuka and is now a leading designer and manufacturer of running shoes, as well as, other athletic footwear, apparel and accessories.
Read the official announcement of our partnership.
General Registration opens May 1, 2023 at 9:00 AM
- Participants must be age 10 or older on Race Day.
- If you are 18 or over, you MUST register yourself, per race policy.
- In-person and At-Home Edition options available.
- Charity runners interested in running in Falmouth vs. at home will be selected by their charity team captain.
- All registrants who are selected to run the course in Falmouth on race day will be notified by email regarding their status. Your email will include an access code and a link to complete your in-person registration.
- If you were not selected to run in person, you will still have the option of participation in the At-Home Edition to run the race in your own neighborhood, receive a full runner kit, including traditional runner mug – and finisher medal – shipped directly to your home.
Click for answers to our most Frequently Asked Questions.
Falmouth Road Race, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) corporation. Proceeds are used to support local sports programs, activities that promote health and wellness, and Falmouth-based nonprofit organizations.